On December 1, 1875 the Currituck Beach Lighthouse was completed, located between Cape Henry Light and Bodie Island. Unlike its
fellows, Currituck Beach Lighthouse was not painted, leaving its brick facade visible. In 1939 the lighthouse was automated.
Like the other lighthouses on North Carolina's Outer Banks, this one still serves as an aid to navigation. The beacon
comes on automatically every evening at dusk and ceases at dawn. With a 20-second flash cycle (on for 3
seconds, off for 17 seconds), the light can be seen for 18 nautical miles