The Fire Tower (Tuztorony), one of the city's symbols, resembles a lighthouse.
Its foundation dates back to the period of King Béla IV when it functioned as a watchtower and had defensive purposes (protecting the castle gate) until the end of the Turkish period.
It can already be seen on drawings dating back to the 16 th century.
The tower survived the Turkish wars, the ravage by the Austrian general, Heister in 1704 and the castle demolition order of Emperor Lipót too. However, during the earthquake of 1810 it was so badly damaged that the local authorities were considering to pull it down. The noblemen of Veszprém intervened in order to save the building.
The tower was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1810. Due to its height of 48 metres, it was suitable for observing the town for signs of fire. The citizens employed a full-time watch who had to keep a lookout day and night.
The tower kept its role in fire-protection until the 1950s.