The opening ceremony of the Fire-Engine House, the Fire Tower and the new Town Hall took place on 27 October 1814.
The Fire Tower (Tuztorony), one of the city's symbols, resembles a lighthouse and can already be seen on drawings dating back to the 16 th century.
The tower was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1810. Due to its height of 48 metres, it was suitable for observing the town for signs of fire. The citizens employed a full-time watch who had to keep a lookout day and night.
The tower kept its role in fire-protection until the 1950s.
The former Fire-Engine House, which was built as a fire station storehouse in the early 1800s, is right by the Fire Tower.
On its front we can see an inscription referring to its former function: This house was financed by the citizens of the town. Here stands the means of protection against the destruction by fire.
On the gable of the former Town Hall we can see the coat of arms of Veszprém on the relief depicting a horseman with a drawn sword and also the symbols of three guilds.