The Kiek in de Kok Tower, so named because people in the tower could see into the kitchens of nearby houses.
It was built as an artillery tower, in 1475. The two lowest floors became surrounded by earth works during the 16th and 17th centuries, and the top floor gained a new outer wall and roof. By 1760 the tower's original use had become obsolete, and it became a store for archives, with some living quarters. Restoration work took place in the 20th century and the tower is now a museum. Cannon balls dating back to 1577 are still embedded in its outer walls.