Smith Bridge was originally built in 1839 as a covered, one-lane wooden span over the Brandywine just south of the Pennsylvania line. It was destroyed in 1961 when it was set on fire the night before Halloween in 1961. The Delaware Department of Transportation rebuilt the bridge without a cover.
It was an unattractive, concrete bridge.
In 2002, the "new" Smith Bridge, which spans the Brandywine River, was "rebuilt" in the spirit of the original covered bridge at a cost of $1.2 million.
It is still a one-lane bridge.
To view a snowy Smith's Bridge click on the image below: