photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Humane Society of Calloway County | profile | all galleries >> PUPPY RESCUE PROGRAM - please read the following folder description. tree view | thumbnails | slideshow

PUPPY RESCUE PROGRAM - please read the following folder description.

Wouldn't it be great if an organization based in New York State could help puppies in Calloway County, Kentucky? Wouldn't it also be great if that organization found homes for thousands of puppies from across the eastern United States. Well it's already happening! The North Shore Animal League, http://www.nsalamerica.org/, based in New York State, rescues puppies dropped at the Calloway County Animal Shelter and transports them to New York and adopts them out to families and individuals who promise to give the puppy a good home. The Humane Society's Friends Of The Shelter program has dedicated volunteers who do everything from giving the puppies thier first vaccinations, baths and human interaction, to volunteering to drive the puppies to Clarksville, Tennessee to the North Shore Animal League facility for their trip to New York. Volunteer and Humane Society board member Suzy Crook heads up the Friends Of The Shelter program. Once the puppies arrive in New York, they are spayed or neutered and adopted out into permanent homes. Volunteers make it work and the Humane Society is proud to be associated with the North Shore Animal League. Kentucky animal shelter statistics indicate that only 15% of stray animals entering a shelter are adopted. Can you guess what happens to the other 85%? It's a shame that a perfectly healthy and happy puppy should face an early death because a human was too irresponsible to have their dog spayed or neutered. In six years, one female dog and her offspring can theoretically produce 67,000 dogs. Be a responsible pet owner and have your companion animals spayed or neutered. Now for the important question. If you're a pet owner who hasn't had your pet spayed or neutered, then which 85% of the puppies pictured in this folder would you like to be responsible for when the puppies have to be euthanized? Since it's the responsibility of the pet owner to have the companion animal spayed or neutered, then any unwanted puppies have to be blamed on the person, not the animal. If the irresponsible owner had to hold the puppies down and stick a needle into them to euthanize them, then maybe they'd realize that having the animal spayed or neutered in the first place would be better for all parties concerned. Incidently, eleven puppies were taken to Clarksville on the day these photos were taken. By the time the two volunteers returned to the Calloway County Animal Shelter, four more puppies had been dropped off along with 34 cats and kittens. Thirty-one of the cats and kittens had to be euthanized that same day.
Pups at Calloway County Shelter.jpg
Pups at Calloway County Shelter.jpg
Help us find a new home.jpg
Help us find a new home.jpg
I need a home please.jpg
I need a home please.jpg
Gathering the Pups.jpg
Gathering the Pups.jpg
Someone help me.jpg
Someone help me.jpg
Check-in at North Shore Animal League.jpg
Check-in at North Shore Animal League.jpg
Weigh-in at North Shore Animal League.jpg
Weigh-in at North Shore Animal League.jpg
A puppy's salvation- North Shore Animal League.jpg
A puppy's salvation- North Shore Animal League.jpg
We wish we had a good home.jpg
We wish we had a good home.jpg
Are you here to adopt me?jpg
Are you here to adopt me?jpg
Adopt us litter mates.jpg
Adopt us litter mates.jpg
Pick me!  Pick me!jpg
Pick me! Pick me!jpg