"Dinton House (also called since 1943 Philipps House) was designed by Jeffry Wyatt (later Sir Jeffry Wyatville)
at the beginning of the 19th century to replace the earlier house on almost the same site, which until then had been the home of the Wyndhams.
The new house was completed in 1816. Built of Chilmark stone, it is a two-storied house with symmetrically set chimney stacks and central lantern.
The south front has nine bays with an Ionic portico. The architect is believed to have based his design upon Pythouse, Tisbury, some seven miles away.
Inside the house, the rooms are planned round a spacious square hall. It was one of the earliest houses to have a central heating system installed.
This was achieved by pumping hot air from a boiler in the basement into the stair well."
From the National Trust:
"The principal rooms on the ground floor are open to visitors and contain fine Regency furniture.
Both the house and the surrounding landscape park have recently been restored."