This is the first cathedral for the dioces of the Roman Catholic Chuch in New York. Construction began in 1809 and it was dedicated in 1815. It was destroyed by fire in 1866 and rebuilt and rededicated in 1868.
The first American cardinal, John McCloskey, was invested here in 1875. It became a parish church in 1879 when St Patrick's Cathedral on Fifth Avenue was dedicated.