The Ulugh Beg Madrasah, or Islamic school, one of three in the Registan, was built from 1417-1420 and was one of the best clergy universities of the Muslim Orient in the 15th century.
Tim put a note on the picture when he sent it saying, “The minarets lean inward [so don’t try to straighten them].”
The Registan, meaning “sandy place” or “desert” in Persian, was the heart of the ancient city of Samarkand of the Timurid dynasty. It was a public square where people gathered to hear royal proclamations, heralded by blasts on enormous copper pipes, as well as a place for public executions. It is framed by three madrasahs (Islamic schools) of distinctive Islamic architecture.
The Registan, posted earlier: