This historic firehouse at 434 Massachusetts Ave. NW was built in 1855, when it operated as the Metropolitan Hook and Ladder Company. It became Engine 6 in 1879, and the company was subsequently relocated to New Jersey Ave. NW in 1974.
All photos copyright © by Helen Betts. All rights reserved. Please do not use or copy without written permission of owner.