Dating from 1715, the present structure is the third in a series of Anglican houses of worship that began in 1660.
Inside the building a succession of galleries was built for particular groups beneath the soaring ceiling. For example, on July 10, 1718, William and Mary students were assigned one that still stands.
The north, east, and south gables are pierced by rosette windows, the north and south walls by tall arched and sashed windows. All were provided for ventilation as well as light.
In 1768 an English organ was installed and gaolkeeper Peter Pelham was hired to play it. He held the postition until about 1802. Pelham brought to church with him a prisoner from the Gaol, whose job it was to pump the instrument. The organ remained in service until 1835.
Today Bruton Parish Church continues to serve an active congregation.