photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Larry Hill | all galleries >> Hawaii and the M.S. Zaandam > Haleakala Crater, Maui
previous | next
Haleakala Crater, Maui
13-JAN-2007 Larry Hill

Haleakala Crater, Maui

Maui, Hawaii

Early afternoon convection clouds flow over the crater's rim.

This is the summit of the largest extinct volcano in the world, encompassing 7,200 cubic miles. 97% of its volume is beneath the sea; the remaining 3% rises to 10,000 feet above sea level. Colors around the individual cones are from various oxidized metals and sulphur.

The volcano last erupted in 1790. Hawaii's lowest temperature (12*F) has been recorded at the summit.

Nikon D2Xs ,Nikkor AF 180mm f/2.8 ED
1/180s f/6.7 at 180.0mm iso200 full exif

other sizes: small medium large original
comment | share
Guest 29-Jan-2007 04:26
Just getting around to viewing your shots. These are BEAUTIFUL!!
fotabug26-Jan-2007 03:01
Superb.
Jack Hoying24-Jan-2007 00:07
Excellent shot! We were there for sunrise and it wasn't anywhere near as pretty as this.
Laura Milholland23-Jan-2007 17:01
Terrific shot, Larry. I too enjoyed the information and explanation.
The Feminine Perspective23-Jan-2007 12:45
this photo has an almost 3 dimensional quality to it
Jeannie
Lyn Anderson-Bearsley23-Jan-2007 10:04
A superb image, Larry. What an awesome place.
Pauline23-Jan-2007 08:51
Excellent shot Larry and thanks for the interesting information as well.