AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED
A compact and lightweight 11.1x high-power zoom lens for Nikon digital SLRs, featuring enhanced Vibration Reduction system.
Tokyo ó Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED, a compact, lightweight 11.1x zoom lens that is ideal for everyday photography and incorporates advanced features such as Nikon ED glass, SWM (Silent Wave Motor) and enhanced VR (Vibration Reduction), as well as featuring optics optimized for use with Nikon digital SLRs.
The lens offers users the remarkable 18-200mm focal length range, which conveniently covers everything from wide landscapes to tight portrait shots. (The picture angle is equivalent to a 27-300mm lens in 35mm format.) Advanced Nikon engineering has given rise to a compact lightweight design that offers excellent handling characteristics.
The highlight of this versatile powerful zoom lens is the benefit of improved Vibration Reduction (VR II), an innovation that makes it possible to take substantially sharper handheld pictures at slower shutter speeds than would otherwise be possible. This provides the distinct advantage of being able to shoot more effectively in a much broader variety of challenging lighting conditions. With the new VR II advantage, users can take pictures at shutter speeds as many as 4 stops slower* than they ordinarily could shoot without camera shake with a non-VR lens! Nikonís VR technology further enhances picture taking potential with a choice of two modes to match more shooting conditions. VR Normal Mode primarily compensates for camera shake, and includes automatic panning detection. VR Active Mode effectively compensates for vibration in situations where it is more pronounced and more frequent, such as when shooting from a moving vehicle.
Additional proven Nikon features and technologies offered in the AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED include the compact SWM, which combines fast and precise autofocusing with super-quiet operation, two ED glass elements and three aspherical lens elements that provide for higher resolution, high-contrast images while minimizing chromatic aberration, astigmatism and other forms of distortion.
*Under Nikon measurement conditions.
Note: This lens is designed exclusively for use with Nikon digital SLR cameras and is not compatible with 35mm  or IX240 format film cameras.
Specifications, design, product name, standard accessories, and release schedule may differ by country or area.
AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED Major Features
1. Offers the broad 18-200mm focal range (11.1x zoom) for use in a variety of situations (equivalent to a 27-300mm lens in 35mm format)
2. VR II system offers the equivalent of using a shutter speed 4 stops faster
3. Two ED glass and three aspherical lens elements minimize chromatic aberration, astigmatism and other forms of distortion, while ensuring high resolution and contrast
4. Incorporates a compact SWM (Silent Wave Motor) for quiet focusing
5. Delivers high-level optical performance that is specially designed for use with the Nikon digital SLRs
6. Employs a seven-blade rounded diaphragm opening that achieves a natural blur for out-of-focus elements
7. Enables focusing from as close as 50cm (20 in.) from the subject through its entire focal range
8. M/A mode for rapid switching between autofocus and manual focus operation
9. Internal Focusing (IF) design enables use of circular polarizing filters
10. High-grade Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superb color reproduction while minimizing ghosting and flare
11. Flower-shaped Lens Hood HB-35 (provided) greatly reduces stray light
|AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED Specifications
||18-200mm (equivalent to a 27-300mm lens in 35mm format)
| Minimum aperture
||16 elements in 12 groups (two ED glass elements, three aspherical lens elements)
||76° - 8°
|Minimum focus range
||0.5m (1.6 ft.)
||77 x 96.5mm (3.0 x 3.8 in.)
||560g (19.8 oz.)
||72mm Snap-on front lens cap (LC-72), Rear lens cap (LF-1), Bayonet hood (HB-35), Flexible lens pouch (CL-1018)
|| 72mm screw-in filters
Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer. November 2005
©2005 Nikon Corporation