- A 12x optical zoom NIKKOR lens with coverage for angles of view for focal lengths from the wide-angle 25 mm to 300 mm (equivalents in 35-mm  format)
Equipped with a high-performance, high-power NIKKOR zoom lens for which lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) has been adopted, the S6400 can easily be taken anywhere to capture beautiful photos of all types of scenes, from wide-angle landscapes to those of distant subjects brought closer with zooming. With one of the most compact bodies in its class, the S6400 measures just 19.8 mm at its slimmest despite offering higher-power zoom than the S6300 (10x optical zoom, 24.0 mm at slimmest point).
- Backside illumination CMOS sensor with an effective pixel count of 16.0-million pixels enables capture of images exhibiting little noise at the high sensitivities required for night landscapes and pictures taken indoors under dim lighting
The superior image quality made possible by 16.0-million pixels, and the high-speed performance of the backside illumination CMOS sensor, which supports advanced noise reduction technologies as well as the capture of multiple shots in quick succession, which are then combined and recorded as a single image, enable capture of images as intended, even with shooting in dark or dimly lit surroundings.
- Simply point the camera at the intended subject and Target Finding AF identifies and focuses on that subject
The S6400 is equipped with the subject identification technology, Target Finding AF, developed exclusively by Nikon. In developing this technology, we analyzed the ways in which users choose their photographic subjects based on an incredible number of shooting simulations. By simply pointing the camera at the intended subject, the camera instantly predicts the portion of the frame on which it should focus. As the active focus area is automatically specified in accordance with the size of the subject, resulting images are in clear focus. In addition, Target Finding AF not only works with subjects positioned at the center of the frame, but with off-center subjects as well. This capability is clearly exhibited, not just with capture of human subjects, but also with shooting of smaller subjects such as flowers, food, and the like.
- *The default AF area mode setting is Center. To enable Target Finding AF, the AF area mode setting must be changed to Target finding AF.
- Quick Effects for editing images in a variety of ways in just 3 easy steps
This feature allows users to create images with effects in three simple steps–shoot, select, save–using touch panel operations. Users can choose from 30 effects (19 patterns) depending upon the shooting scene or impression they would like to create.
Primary quick effects
Pop, Super vivid, Painting, High key, Toy camera effect, Low key, Cross process, Soft, Fisheye, Cross screen, Miniature effect, High-contrast monochrome, Sepia, Cyanotype, Selective color
- Intuitive touch panel operation
The S6400 supports intuitive, stress-free shooting, playback, and editing of images with its 3-inch, approximately 460k-dot widescreen TFT LCD touch panel and new user interface that makes touch operations simple.
- Recording of 1920 x 1080p/30-fps full-HD movies with stereo sound
By simply pressing the movie-record button on the back of the camera, users can record 1920 x 1080p/30-fps full-HD movies with stereo sound. The high sensitivities supported by the backside illumination CMOS sensor enable superior picture quality for movies recorded in dark or dimly lit surroundings, and optical zoom can be applied and adjusted during movie recording. What's more, multiple movies recorded individually can be saved as a single movie file using the record pause function built into the camera, not only making movie recording simple, but also expanding the ways in which users enjoy movies after they have been recorded.