The Warsaw barbican is a semicircular fortified outpost and one of few remaining relics of the complex network of historic fortifications that once encircled Warsaw.
The barbican was erected in 1540 in place of an older gate to protect Nowomiejska Street. It was used in the defense of the city only once, during the Swedish invasion of Poland, on 30 June 1656, when it had to be recaptured by the Polish army of Polish king Jan Kazimierz from the Swedes.
During World War II, particularly the Siege of Warsaw (1939) and the Warsaw Uprising of 1944, the barbican was largely destroyed. It was rebuilt after the war, during 1952–1954, on the basis of 17th-century etchings.