The Kremlin is the heart of Suzdal and the oldest part of it. Archaeologists believe the Kremlin date from the 10th century and according to the chronicles the first mention of the Kremlin was made in 1024. At the turn of the 12th century here rose a fortress. It was surrounded by earth ramparts 1400 m. long. On the top there was a wooden wall with towers. The prince's and bishop's residence with the principle cathedral were located in the Kremlin.
The Kremlin has preserved the earth ramparts and moats, several churches and the archbishop's residence with the Nativity cathedral with blue domes spangled with gold.