Beit Jimal (or Beit Jamal; Hebrew: בית ג'מאל; Arabic: بيت جمال / الحكمه) is a Catholic monastery, run by Salesian monks. The property was purchased in 1878 by Fr Antonio Belloni, who set up the Beit Gemal School of Agriculture for the benefit of poor youth, especially orphans. The Salesians took over the institution in 1892, after Fr Belloni joined them together with some other priests. The monastery is located in the Judean hills next to the city of Beit Shemesh. There are actually two separate monasteries, one for men and a second for women, as well as a small and well-appointed church, called St. Stephen, built in 1930 on the ruins of a 5th century Byzantine church discovered on the site. The monastery has a small shop that offers locally made olive oil and red wines. There is a small concert hall, where concerts are played on some weekends. The nuns do not belong to Salesian Sisters, but rather to the Sisters of Bethlehem, part of the Sisters of the Assumption of the Virgin and the Sisters of Saint Bruno. These nuns have taken a vow of silence.
Bet Gemal Monastery , Bet Gemal , Jerusalem , Beit Govrin , Beit Shemesh , Monastery ,