Reputed to be Europe's oldest residential street. All of these buildings as well as the street date from the 14th century. The Vicar's Close
was built by 1363 to house the men who sang in the choir. Today, the men of the choir and their families still live here, as well as
other people who help to run the Cathedral.
The street still has the original cobblestoned surface. It deliberately slopes upwards and gets narrower toward the end so as to look longer.