photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Dick Osseman | all galleries >> Bilecik > Bilecik dec 2007 1731.jpg
previous | next
Bilecik dec 2007 1731.jpg
17-DEC-2007

Bilecik dec 2007 1731.jpg

view map

In the valley just mentioned there were several minarets that may have belonged to mosques that were, for some reason or other, destroyed. Here is one of them.

When the Ottoman Bey Osman Gazi took the place in 1289, it was mainly a castle (named ‘Belikoma’) held by an independent (Byzantine or Latin) prince. Until the conquest of Bursa, Bilecik was the most important place in Ottoman possession; Osman’s son Orhan Gazi (1326-1362) had ‘his’ mosque built in the valley, where the city was developing, as well as a mosque in honour of his father, and the dervish retreat and mausoleum of Şeyh Edebali (died 1325), who had been the spiritual leader of Osman Gazi. In later centuries, the town grew to become an important regional center, governed from Sultanönu (now: Eskişehir) at first, and since 1883 from Bursa. In the meanwhile, the town had to suffer from a great city fire in 1856. The death blow came in 1922, when the Greek troops (who had occupied Western Anatolia in 1919, with the support of the Western Allies) retreated when the Turkish army (under Mustafa Kemal Paşa) reconquered the lost territories. Before leaving, the Greek army destroyed Bilecik thoroughly, provoking the massive flight of the indigenous Greek Orthodox (‘Rum’) population of the region as well. The city’s population of 12.000 (in 1920) dropped to a mere 4.000 in 1925.

On the picture: The few alone standing minarets in the valley are the sole remnants of what was a flourishing city once . Only two important monuments were restored (the Orhan Gazi mosque and the Şeyh Edebali dervish retreat). The new city shifted to the higher grounds above.

Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Türkye Tarihi Yerler Kılavuzu’ – M.Orhan Bayrak, Inkılâp Kitabevi, Istanbul, 1994.
& Personal visits (1997 – 1998).

Nikon D2x
1/15s f/4.5 at 44.0mm iso500 hide exif
Full EXIF Info
Date/Time17-Dec-2007 16:02:18
MakeNikon
ModelNIKON D2X
Flash UsedNo
Focal Length44 mm
Exposure Time1/15 sec
Aperturef/4.5
ISO Equivalent500
Exposure Bias
White Balance
Metering Modematrix (5)
JPEG Quality
Exposure Programaperture priority (3)
Focus Distance

other sizes: small medium large original
comment | share
Mutluhan 14-Jul-2008 20:01
The Greeks burned those mosques while they were escaping in 1922. Mosques abandoned but only remained minarets. All those mosques were from 14th century.