photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Dick Osseman | all galleries >> Istanbul pictures Start page >> Istanbul pictures - Fener and Balat > Istanbul092007 8724.jpg
previous | next
Istanbul092007 8724.jpg
08-SEP-2006

Istanbul092007 8724.jpg

view map

At the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate. The church is dedicated to St. George. A group of visitors attended a service and then had their pictures taken by the priests.

A viewer supplied further information: It reads: " This most venerable Patriarchal Cathedral was totally rebuilt during the Patriarchate of the most Reverend Patriarch Jeremias with the costs assumed by devout Christians and the supervision and superintendance of the Most Holy Metropolitans Paisios of Nicomedia (Iznik), Gerasimos od Nicaea (Izmit),Parthenios of Chalcedon (Kadikoy), Cyril of Proussa (Bursa), Kallinikos of Varna and co-supervised by the most honest nobles and by the great church leader Constantinos, Palmer, former prince of Hungro-Walacia, December 18, 1720".

From another source: On the picture: The icon of the “Three Angels visiting Abraham at the oak of Mamre” (Genesis 18,1-15).
The representation is full of symbolism and often interpreted as an icon of the Holy Trinity.

Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.

Nikon D2x
1/30s f/8.0 at 27.0mm iso640 full exif

other sizes: small medium large original
comment | share
V. Rev. Alexander Kile 03-Oct-2008 21:00
Facade of the Entrance of the Cathedral of Saint George, inside the Main Narthex, on the top, the icon of the Holy Trinity, which is represented with the hospitality of Abraham to the Three Angels sent by God. (Old Testament). Underneeth the stone has inscription regarding the rebuilding of the Patriarchal Cathedral after the fire in 1720,this rebuilding took place when Jermaiah was Ecumenical Patriarch, on December 18th 1720 the reconceration ceremony took place.