The 'Yıldırım Camii' was built in 1382, together with a hamam and a madrasa, ordered by (the future sultan) Yıldırım Beyazıt, who was governor of the region at that time. 1382 was a moment of much building activity, for it is also the date the 'Yıldırım Camii' of Bolu was constructed.
This 'Yıldırım Camii' is still Mudurnu’s largest historic monument. It has been restored several times: in 1776, 1839, 1900, 1956 for certain (these dates are documented).
The prayer hall is covered by a large dome, having a diameter of 19½ m. Its considerable weight is carried by massive walls, 1,60 m thick. The wall paintings were renewed recently in a 16th-17th century Ottoman style, called ‘kalem işi’ (= work of the pen/paintbrush).
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Source: ‘Vakıf Abideler ve eski Eserler’ II - Vakıflar Genel Müdürlüğü, Ankara 1977.