photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Dick Osseman | all galleries >> Bolu > Bolu062007 7514.jpg
previous | next
Bolu062007 7514.jpg

Bolu062007 7514.jpg

view map

The 'Yıldırım Camii' is also called ‘Ulu Cami’ (Great Mosque), 'Karakadi Camii' (Mosque of the Black Judge) or 'Paşa Camii' (Mosque of the Pasha). Built in 1382, ordered by (the future sultan) Yıldırım Beyazıt, who was governor of the region at that time. The mosque has been restored several times, last after a severe earthquake in 1944. Fortunately, this didn’t alter its original appearance too much. A total of more than 50 windows provide the square prayer hall with plenty of light.
The inner decoration has been executed in a 18th-19th century late-Ottoman style; the wall paintings are called ‘kalem işi’ (= work of the pen/paintbrush).

Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Source: ‘Vakıf Abideler ve eski Eserler’ II - Vakıflar Genel Müdürlüğü, Ankara 1977.

Nikon D2x
1/40s f/5.6 at 12.0mm iso640 full exif

other sizes: small medium large original
comment | share