West of ‘Iç Kale’ one will find Kayseri’s ‘Kapalı Çarşı’ (Covered Bazar), claimed to be the second largest of Turkey (after the one in Istanbul, of course). Established during the Ottoman period, it was gradually enlarged, and (since these were predominantly wooden constructions) almost as systematically destroyed by fire.
From 1987-1991 on, extensive restorations were carried out, partly in a Classic Ottoman style, in the area adjacent to the high vaulting section built in 1935.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen
Source: Website of ‘kayseriden.biz’ & Personal visit (2001).