This is the main entrance to the Hunat Hatun Külliyesi: the usual complex of mosque, medrese and mausoleum. It was founded in 1235-38 by the Seljuk sultan Alaeddin Kaykobad's favorite Mahperi.
On the picture: High above the door, the white marble ‘kitabe’ (building inscription) of the mosque, mentioning its builder and the date (1237). The ‘kitabe’ of the medrese has not been found, but since it was built shortly before the mosque, the date of 1235 is generally accepted. Anyway, it is known from other sources that teachings began there in 1239.
On top of the entrance building: a so-called ‘köşk minare’ (kiosk minaret) or ‘minber minare’ (pulpit minaret), with six pillars, from the 16th or 17th century (but restored in 1995). On the right of the picture: a glimpse of the tall minaret, built in 1900 in replacement of an earlier Ottoman minaret from 1727.
On the left side of the entrance: the pyramidal roof of the Hunat Hâtun Türbesi (mausoleum), dated 1260-70.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen
Sources: ‘Kayseri Kültür Varlıkları Envanteri’ (Kayseri Belediyesi 2008)
& ‘Tarihi Kayseri Cami ve Mescidleri’ – Doç. Ilhan Özkeçeci (1997).