From 1267, this former Kuran school now functions as a nice shopping centre.
It is also named ‘Sahip Ata Medresesi’, after the Seljuk vizier who had it built during the Ilhanlı domination over Anatolia (1243-1335). These ‘Ilhanlı / Ilkhanids’ are Iran based Mongols, who defeated the Seljuks at the Battle of Köse Dağ in 1243 and annexed their territory.
On the picture: Close-up of the fine stone work adorning the monumental entrance. Note these elements: (the top of) a decorative mihrab (prayer niche), geometric patterns forming stars, calligraphic (Arabic) script, stylized flowers and branches, a small capital with a double row of acanthus leaves.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen
Sources: ‘Kayseri Kültür Varlıkları Envanteri’ (Kayseri Belediyesi 2008)