The mosque was built on orders of Fatih Mehmet, the Sultan who conquered Constantinople. It was destroyed during an earthquake on 22 May 1766. Its original form seemed to have been best represented by the Selimiye at Konya, which was a small replica of it. The present mosque is on a different plan, finished in 1771.
The courtyard is probably original, though.