On a cold Sunday morning there was no traffic along the Ulu mosque, at last.
It was the first large congregational mosque of the Ottomans (1396) and measures 56 x 68 m over all. It has three entries: a ‘Great Door’ in the North, and two secondary entries in the East and the West. The two minarets stand in the northeast and northwest corners.
On the picture: The western wall and its entry, and a glimpse of the northwest minaret.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Source: ‘Islamic Architecture: Ottoman Turkey’ (Godfrey Goodwin) – London 1977 .