In the 7th and 6th century BC a Lydian road was found at two metres below the Roman road. The consecutive roads span 2500 years, only in 1950 the road was shifted slightly to the South. The Roman road was twice as wide as the present road, it was 18,5 metres wide, paved with marble blocks and had covered portico’s at the flanks, with mosaics on their floors. The Roman pavement visible now dates from the 4th-6th centuries AD.
Along the road are shops, in one they recycled what looks like Christian relious ornaments (ipside down) to line a sink. See the sieve to the right (the holes).