The Mihrab is the part of the mosque where the imam recites the Koran and has his place in the communal prayers.
The mihrab (prayer niche that indicates the direction of the Kaaba in Mecca) dates from 1572, and was restored in 1904. Its decoration (integrating numerous calligraphic inscriptions) was refreshed recently, and displays a mixture of 16th-17th century Classic Ottoman style and ‘Turkish Baroque’ from the 19th century, which was influenced by European Neo-Classicism (and more specifically here by the French ‘Nouvel Empire’ style).
On the picture: A close-up of the muqarnas (stalactite-like) decoration of the mihrab. This part is original late-14th century early-Ottoman stonecraft (dating from around 1398).
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Vakıf Abideler ve eski Eserler III’ - Vakıflar Genel Müdürlüğü, Ankara 1983
& ‘Bursa - Turquie’ – booklet of the Bursa Müzeleri, 1980.