The original architecture of the theater can be dated back to the founding of the colony (25 BC) or may even go back to the Hellenistic age. It was built north of the Decumanus Maximus (the main east–west-oriented street), adjacent to it. The theater was enlarged in 311-313 AD. Its dimensions are similar to those of the theater in Aspendos, which had a capacity of 12.000 people. This theater was rather bigger and larger than the other important Pisidian city theaters at Sagalassos, Termessos and Selge.
Numerous stone blocks of the building have been carried away for later period constructions, both in Antioch and in Yalvaç; in 1833 already, when he identified the theater, Arundell observed that many blocks had been removed.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Pisidian Antioch’ – Ünal Demirer, archaeologist. (Ankara, 1997)
& Personal visits (1994 – 2003).