We approach from west of the mosque, after visiting the library we'll see later. If we were to continue we'd get to the soup kitchen, but instead we'll get some more views of the portal in front of the mosque, then enter.
On the picture: The porch, on the northern side of the mosque, is covered by five small domes. It has been restored several times, due to earthquakes. The last reconstruction dates from 1782.
The slightly elevated areas left and right of the main entrance are the ‘son cemaat yeri’ (= ‘area for those who came late’), where worshippers who reached the mosque late or at the last moment, will gather and fulfil their prayer duty.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Source: ‘Vakıf Abideler ve eski Eserler’ - Vakıflar Genel Müdürlüğü, Ankara 1983.