The Bouleuterion (Council House) was central to the civic life of Aphrodisias in antiquity. Like a modern town hall, it served as the meeting place of the city’s administrative council (the Boule) and as a multi-purpose indoor theatre, concert hall and assembly place. It is semi-circular and was originally roofed with seating for an estimated 1750 persons, and a richly decorated stage. During excavations in the 1960’s eight over life size marble statues were found in the ruins of the stage building. They are now in the museum. They originally stood between the columns of the buildings elaborate two-storied marble façade (facing the auditorium). They included images of gods and personifications associated with the Boule, as well as portraits of leading citizens.