Byzantine church and cemetery
Towards the 10th – 11th century a small and simple Byzantine church was erected above the ruins of the stoa-basilica. This is the latest church so far identified at Hierapolis and lies within a large funerary enclosure, built of re-used stone blocks. At that time the town must have been severely reduced in dimensions, with a populations of a few tens of people. The church was probably abandoned following the first invasion of this territory by the Seljuk Turks, after the battle of Manzikert in 1071.
The state of preservations of the remains is due to the thick deposit of soil that eroded from the surrounding hills, the same soil that filled the abandoned agora.