The Mader Mevlana Camisi, also called Ak Tekke, was a monastery, founded in 1371 by emir Alaeddin Bey (his wife founded the Medrese of Nefesi Sultan, also called the Hatuniye medrese). It was a centre for the order of the whirling dervishes that Celaleddin Rumi (Mevlana) had founded. After Atatürk dissolved the order in 1923 the monks left the monastery. Inside one finds the grave of Mümine Hatun, Mevlana’s mother and several other famous people. The main hall of the mosque dates from Seljuk times. The hall in front is a later addition.
In the cells to the left the monks would live for 40 days, fasting and meditating, not seeing daylight.