The Eşrefoğlu Camii (mosque) was built together with a türbe (mausoleum), a caravanserai, a bedesten (market hall) and a hamam (Turkish bath). The whole külliye (complex) took some five years to be built (1296-1301), ordered by the Eşrefoğlu prince Şerafettin Süleyman Halil Bey.
On the picture: The mosque (with its main entrance) and the türbe.
During the last years of Seljuks of Rum (after their defeat at Kösedağ against the Ilkhanid Mongols in 1243), various Seljuk governors enjoyed a partial independency. They established their own (semi) independent principalities (so-called ‘Anatolian Beyliks’). Eşrefoğulları (Eshrefids) was a small beylik in center west Anatolia. After 1288, Süleyman Bey, the second bey of Eshrefids rebuilt the city of Beyşehir as a capital of his beylik. Although his beylik was a relatively unimportant political power, the city flourished as one of the cultural centers of late-Seljuk world.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: ‘Türkye Tarihi Yerler Kılavuzu’ – M.Orhan Bayrak, Inkılâp Kitabevi, Istanbul, 1994 ,
‘Agon Cultuur reisgidsen’ – M.Mehling, 1989 & Wikipedia.