On the picture: The facade of the ‘Sen Pol Kilisesi’ = St.Paul’s Catholic Church, built at the end of the 19th century, is sometimes described as ‘French Gothic’, although ‘eclectic Neo-Gothic with Armenian influence’ would be more to the point.
It was part of a mission established in 1892 by the Order of the Augustians, including a dispensary and a school which were conducted by Catholic Sisters; it is reported that in 1910 the mission was “very prosperous and attended by numerous Greek and above all Armenian”.
Nowadays the mission offers hospitality to groups of pilgrims travelling the paths of St. Paul in Anatolia, thanks to the presence of two resident Italian Sisters. And Konya’s small community of Catholics gather here once a week to pray.
Correspondent: J.M.Criel, Antwerpen.
Sources: Websites of ‘www.catholic.org’ & ‘wow.turkey.com’ .