photo sharing and upload picture albums photo forums search pictures popular photos photography help login
Don Boyd | all galleries >> Memories of Old Hialeah, Old Miami and Old South Florida Photo Galleries - largest non-Facebook collection on the internet >> 1940 to 1949 Miami Area Historical Photos Gallery - click on image to view > 1947 - Housing development by Marjohn Company, owned by Maurice R. (M. R.) Harrison
previous | next
1947 - Housing development by Marjohn Company, owned by Maurice R. (M. R.) Harrison
1947

1947 - Housing development by Marjohn Company, owned by Maurice R. (M. R.) Harrison

Southwest Dade County, Florida


A 46 unit housing development by Marjohn Company, owned by Maurice R. Harrison of 285 W. 9th Street, Hialeah, in Blocks 24, 26, 29, 30, 33, 35 and 39 of Central Miami, Part 2. In English, that means between SW 37th to 40th Streets between SW 62nd Court to 67th Avenue.

Maurice Rowlen "Moe" Harrison, Jr., passed away on Sunday, August 12, 2007 at the age of 89. He had fallen two weeks previous suffering a fatal head injury. Moe Jr. was in the first graduating class of the Cusman School and joined his family's construction business. They built assault boats during World War II, and prefab homes for the British that were shipped in boxes overseas. The company went back to the clearing and construction of Biscayne Boulevard in the late 20's. Over time the company built numerous large buildings in Dade County, including numerous buildings at the University of Miami, the Sears Tower, Versailles Plaza on Miami Beach, the Bal Harbour Shops in 1963, the Mutual of Omaha building on Brickell Avenue, other Brickell Avenue highrises, etc. The construction company was dissolved in 1990 but M. R. Harrison Crane Service still exists. Moe Jr. is survived by Mae, his wife of 65 years and three sons.


other sizes: small medium original
comment | share