Thank you to Alvin Lederer for contributing this old postcard image of part of the White Belt Daily Farms. Alvin says: "Before Dr. Jackson of Jackson Hospital fame, there was Dr. John G DuPuis. Dr. DuPuis delivered over 5,000 babies in Ft. Dallas and early Miami and had a Dairy called White Belt Dairy. He had a formula he called "Special Milk" just for babies to make them healthy."
Dr. DuPuis moved to Dade County in 1898 and established his medical practice in Lemon City. He treated Miamians during the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1899 and was one of the few white doctors trusted by the Seminole Indians. He built his new concrete office and drug store on N. E. 2nd Avenue and 61st Street in 1902, the first concrete structure north of Flagler Street. Dr. James M. Jackson arrived in March 1896 when he was hired by Henry Flagler to be the physician in residence for Flagler's Florida East Coast Railroad.
More information at:
Information on the John G. DuPuis Wildlife and Environmental Area in northwest Palm Beach County and southwest Martin County:
John G. and Susan H. DuPuis, Jr. Wildlife and Environmental Area consists of nearly 22,000 acres in northwestern Palm Beach and southwestern Martin counties and adjoins the J. W. Corbett Wildlife Management Area to the east. A visitor center is located at Gate 5 on SR 76. This property was formerly the White Belt Ranch, a working livestock ranch owned by the late John G. DuPuis. Once part of the Everglades ecosystem, the hydrology of the area was altered through drainage. The water management district has restored portions of the land by rehydrating interior wetlands. Today, two-thirds of the area is pinelands, and one-third is cypress swamp and freshwater marsh. In the rainy season, the pine flatwoods often contain standing water and portions of the roads could be flooded. This is a no-cost quota hunt area, and deer, hog, and turkey are plentiful. During hunting seasons, with the exception of small game season, access to the area is open only to quota hunt permit holders and through-hikers on the Ocean to Lake Trail, an official side trail of the Florida National Scenic Trail. The 35 miles of hiking trails on the area include the Ocean to Lake Trail, which traverses the width of the area, and 4 loops ranging from 5 to 15.6 miles. Parking for hikers is located at the trailhead at Gate 2. An equestrian center at Gate 3 has horse barns, paddocks, campsites, restrooms with showers, a dump station, and a trailhead marking the beginning of 40 miles of equestrian trails. The DuPuis Auto Tour winds 7.5 miles through a range of natural communities to the fishing pier on Shell Lake. Camping is permitted at designated campgrounds as well as at primitive campsites along the Ocean to Lake Trail and biking is allowed on named roads. Alligators, river otters, feral hogs, coyotes, white-tailed deer, and bald eagles are some of the wildlife that make their home on this area.