Ref. 152-5252-F0001/1 - http://www.pbase.com/image/16746041
Original: 35MB TIFF (24x36cm at 300 dpi.)
The erection of the monument sought to express the following:
National recognition of the universal kingship of Christ.
Profound and eternal thanks that through the intercession of the lmmaculate Heart of Mary Portugal was spared involvement in the second World War.
Reparation for those who refuse to accept the claim of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
17/06/1941 - Acquisition of the land for the Sanctuary.
18/12/1949 - Laying of the foundation stone (the 50th anniversary of the consecration of the world to the Sacred Heart).
01/02/1952 - Beginning of the construction.
17/05/1959 - The official opening of the monument. The following were present the Bishops of Portugal, the Cardinals of Brazil and Spain, Legal Military and civil, Authorities, including the President of the Republic, the Government, Members of Parliament and Members of Local Authorities. There took place the official consecration to the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, presided over by the Cardinal Patriarch of Lisbon and ratified by the Head of State. The statue of Our Lady of Fátima had been brought especially for the occasion from the Chapel of the Apparitions in Fátima. Pope John XXIII sent a special radio message for the occasion.
( http://www.cristo-rei.com/monumento_uk.htm )