American Cuckoo Clock Co., Philadelphia, PA. This was published in the April 1955 Bulletin by George H. Eckhardt. Quote: It will surprise many to learn that this company is still in existence in Philadelphia (1955). While the early records of the company are no longer available, there were probably tens of thousands of clocks bearing the name of the company assembled, manufactured and sold throughout the US. They were merchandised through the usual jobbing trade and directly to large users such as department stores and mail order houses, and were also given as premiums with subscriptions to newspapers and magazines
Despite all this the history of the company is most interesting in the annals of American clockmaking. The American Cuckoo Clock Co. had its beginning back in the middle 1890's. At that time Breitinger and Kuntz (later known as Breitinger and sons) had a retail store at 37 and 39 North Ninth St. Philadelphia. They were very large importers of cuckoo clocks from the Black forest of Germany
However, so many of the imported clocks arrived in a damaged condition that the firm decided to attempt to manufacture cuckoo clocks in this country. to this end they set up a manufacturing establishment on the upper floors of the Ninth St building. Here they fabricated the wooden cases and employed skilled European wood carvers to embellish the ornamental frame work. The movements, bellows and certain other small components were imported.
The business prospered and the activity soon outgrew the space available. The American Cuckoo Clock co was organized and set up factory operations in a building at the corner of Randolph Street and Fairmount Ave. This was very early in the 1900's. The building ws occupied until 1912 when the company moved to a still larger building at 1669 Ruffner St., Philadelphia.
At the outset of the First World War the importing of movements was cut off and within a short period the supply on hand was exhausted. Therefore, for a few years all activity ceased. As things returned to normal activity after the war.
The company then engaged in the importation of fine German chiming clock movements and the manufacture of mahogany cases for them. These cases were made for their own use and for other importers. Throughout the 1920's the sale, servicing and manufacturing of fine chiming clocks was the chief business of the company although cuckoo clocks were handled to some extent. World War II led to the final discontinuance of all manufacturing and assembling operations. End Quote.