Ballard DNA Surname Project
Winston Roosevelt Ballard b. November 6, 1940 in Tallassee, AL d. July 26, 2012
WINSTON R. BALLARD Winston R. Ballard, 71 of Phenix City, AL passed away at his home, Thursday, July 26, 2012. Memorial services with Military Honors will be held Tuesday, July 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm EDT at Vance Memorial Chapel in Phenix City with Pastor Robert Goodman officiating. A private interment will take place at Lakeview Memory Gardens. The family will receive friends one hour prior to the memorial service at the funeral home. Mr. Ballard was born November 6, 1940 in Tallassee, AL to the late Herbert A. Ballard and Bertha Taylor Ballard. He was retired as co-owner of Baker Business Machines in Phenix City. Mr. Ballard was a Veteran of the United States Air Force and a member of Summerville Baptist Church and served as past Church Treasure for 14 years as well as participating in all church activities. Other than his parents, he was preceded in death by two sisters, Verna Mae Ballard and Minnie Edwards, three brothers, Robert V. Ballard, George A. Ballard and Comer Winslett and a son-in-law, Jim Indykiewicz. He is survived by his loving and devoted wife of 49 years, Gwendolyn "Gwen" McConnell Ballard of Phenix City, two daughters, Angela "Angie" Delrae Ballard Funk and husband Chris of Phenix City, AL and Catherine "Cathy" Eileen Ballard Indykiewicz of Phenix City, AL; one sister, Vickie Craig and husband Douglas of Americus, GA, sister-in-law, Mrs. Juanita Ballard of Tallassee, AL; five grandchildren, Ethan Funk, Kyle Indykiewicz, Camryn Indykiewicz, Meagan Indykiewicz and Brandon Indykiewicz, two great grandchildren, Addison and Ashlynn numerous nieces, nephews, extended family, church family, many friends and his loving pets, Bo and Wally. In lieu of flowers, the family request donations to the United States Armed Forces Wounded Warriors Program. Published in The Opelika-Auburn News on July 29, 2012
Name: Bertha Mae Ballard [Bertha Mae Taylor]
Death Date: 1944
Death Place: East Tallassee, Tallapoosa, Alabama
Marital Status: Married Gender: Female
Father Name: Monty Taylor
Mother Name: Susie Taylor
Spouse Name: Herbert Alexander Ballard
1. John Ballard (1st son of Joseph and Judith Ann Ballard) born 1701 Nanesmond, County Virginia, died 27 Aug 1763 Princess Anne, Virginia. Married Mary Continent in 1734 in Chowan District, N.C.
2. Benjamin Ballard (3rd son of John and Mary Ballard) born February 27, 1743 in Prince William, Virginia died June 16, 1832 Morgan, Calhoun County, Georgia. Benjamin married Katherine Hammond in 1780 in Orangeburg County South Carolina. Katherine was born in Carolina 1745 died Morgan, Calhoun County, Georgia 10 June 1844
3. Silas Joseph Hardy Ballard (1st son of Benjamin and Katherine Ballard) born 1781 Temple, Carroll County Georgia died 1840. There is some indication that indicates that Silas may have died in Tennessee in route to Alabama. Married Temperance Tabitha in 1811, Temperance was born in South Carolina in 1785 died 1865 in Oakey Streak, Butler County, Alabama
4. Benjamin Randall Ballard (1st son if Silas and Temperance Ballard) born April 11, 1811 Okaey Streak in Butler County, Alabama. Died February 15, 1890 Oakey Streak, Butler County, Alabama. Married Sarah Nancy Ann Jones born March 19,1816, died January 13, 1894.
5. Benjamin Randall Butler Ballard (4nd son of Benjamin Randall and Sarah Nancy Ballard) born March 5, 1849, Oakey Streak, Butler County Alabama died 29 Jan 1929 Oakey Streak, Alabama. Married Mary Ethridge born 1848 in Georgia died 1928 in Alabama
6. James Alexander Oliver Ballard born Dec 1876 Oakey Streak, Alabama died 13 Feb1911 Oakey Streak, Alabama. Married Caroline Victoria Jackson born Jul 1876 in Alabama 9 June 1938 in East Tallassee, Tallapoosa County Alabama.
7. Herbert Alexander Ballard born 5 Nov1901 Covington County, Alabama died 5 Aug 1988 Americus, Sumter County, Georgia . Married Bertha Mae Taylor born ??? died 1944.
8. Winston Roosevelt Ballard born 6 Nov 1940 died 26July 2012 Phenix City, Alabama. Married Gwendolyn “Gwen” McConnell