Why the 200K file limit? This has been asked many times. There are several reasons.
1. It makes the galleries easier to view for people still on dialup connections. Yes they are out there! Not everyone has the luxury of broadband or cable, and our *open* community should remain as open and accessible to as many people as possible. If your image is too big, people just won't bother looking at it.
2. It makes for a level playing field - everyone has the same limit imposed on them.
3. The galleries are run on donated space, and therefore it is not for us to abuse either storage space or bandwidth. 200k is ample to display an image on the web.
4. If you feel your image is losing some detail due to JPG compression, then the best way is to resize it to smaller dimensions in order to make the compression kinder to your image.
5. If the dimensions of your image are too large, people may have to use scroll bars to see Pbase's *original* size, which is intensely annoying. We strongly recommend keeping the longest side of your photos to 800 pixels or less.