This fortress was built in the late 12th century by Richard the Lionheart,
King of England,to guard his Norman possessions from the French king, Philippe Auguste.
It is located on a beautiful bend above the Seine overlooking Les Andelys.
It was finished in 1198 and Richard died in 1199. His brother took over but, by 1202,
it fell to the the French king and Normandy became part of France.