The Lieutenance is the last bastion of medieval Honfleur and the last vestige of the ramparts that were destroyed at the end of the 17th-century on the order of Colbert. Over the centuries, the building has undergone many rebuilds. The very first ramparts of the town of Honfleur were erected in the 13th-century. Around 1350, Charles V built a fortress surrounding the harbor as well as the city. The Lieutenance is one of the most significant buildings of Honfleur.