The bridge used to have walls but these were washed away in the "muckle" spate of 1829.
The flood of 1829 was extensively reported. The rainfall that caused the floods was described as being of, "extraordinary intensity ", and, "the total volume of water concerned in the floods was enormous." Rain began to fall on the 2nd of August and continued until the 4th, and was combined with a north east wind. It was noted that the force of the downpour was such that it penetrated all doors and windows facing in that direction.
The Findhorn filled the valley, 200 yards wide to a level of 50 feet above the normal height of the water and in spite of the sparse population in flooded areas the damage was very great. It was suggested that the melting snow on the mountains might have added to the severity but the preceding months had been generally dry and warm and the state of the ground before the rain is likely to have diminished rather than exaggerated the flooding. "The inundation covered a space of something more than 20 square miles in the Plain of Forres..Sweeping the eye round from Moy to Kincorth, Binsness, Findhorn, Kinloss to Forres and the Cluny Hills, the space within that circle was on entire sheet of water with a trifling patch of green or yellow ground"
The Dulnain and the Findhorn have the same catchment area