|The lighthouse at this site was constructed in 1870. The brick-and-mortar tower included ornate iron balcony supports and a large keeper residence with enough space to house several families. In April 1906, a devastating earthquake struck the light station. The keeper's residence and lighthouse were damaged so severely they had to be demolished. The new lighthouse began operation in 1908, nearly 18 months after the quake. It stands 115 feet tall.