In 1732, General James Oglethorpe, Governor of the 13th colony ordered construction of a lighthouse on Tybee Island to safely guide mariners into Savannah harbor. The original lighthouse was first completed in 1736. It was made of brick and wood and stood 90 feet tall, making it the highest structure in colonial America at that time. Five years later the lighthouse was destroyed by a horrible storm..
Sony NEX-6 1/800s f/8.0 at 16.0mm iso100