|The Powell/Hyde line begins at Powell and Market Streets, and runs north and west to Hyde and Beach Streets via Powell, Jackson (return via Washington), and Hyde Streets. It was created in 1957 by combining the northern part of the former O'Farrell/Jones/Hyde line (abandoned 1954) with the eastern part of the former Washington/Jackson line (abandoned 1956). These two lines use single-ended cars that can operate in only one direction. They therefore use turntables at the ends of the lines to reverse direction. These cars were built in 1887-91, and survived the great fire of 1906 because they were stored in an outlying carbarn at the time.