|The original lens was replaced by a fourth-order lens in 1935 when electricity came to the station. Seven years later, on June 22, 1942 at 12:35 a.m. the keeper was ordered to turn off the light. Fort Stevens, Oregon had just been fired upon by a Japanese submarine. In a strategy to keep the location of Fort Stevens and Fort Canby hidden, all the surrounding lighthouses were darkened until the danger was over.
In the 1950s, the fourth-order lens was replaced by two aero beacons. The light was automated in 1961 with a modern optic mounted on the tower's gallery and the last keeper left on July 1, 1961.