|The battery was named after Colonel Elmer J. Wallace, a Coast Artillery Officer who was killed in France in 1918.
The threat of aerial attack led the Army to develop overhead cover for the battery's two guns. Between 1942 and 1944 the battery was casemated with a steel reinforced concrete ceiling and covered with blast absorbing earth and camouflaging vegetation.
By 1948, Battery Elmer J. Wallace was considered obsolete. The Army abandoned it and scraped its massive guns..